MailChimp subscribe popup

Tuesday, November 1

Growing Pains; Living with Teens

Painting of Wings outside Redemption Bar Shoreditch, London by Diarmuid Byron OConnor

Do you remember what is was like to be a teenager?

Most of the time I don't.  Especially when my teen is acting up.  I get mad, I mumble, I shout and even confront.  Then I remember.  I remember that I NEVER want to be a teenager EVER again.  I hated that period of my life.  It hurt.  Physically, mentally hurt.  I had so many emotions, hormones flying around, confusion.  And my body!  Bloomin heck.  I was an A student before I hit 13 when I honestly couldn't control my anger, confusion, angst or hormones and completely flunked my finals.  It took me forever to recover from my teen years, Im not sure I have yet.


I look at the teen I have now with awe, pity and hope.  I get it.  Sort of.  I get why my mum found it hard and perhaps gave up?  I get why my son is dropping off at school and lacking general focus.  I get that even though he wouldn't say it out loud, he hates me at times.  But I believe in him.

I know he will get to the other side and not make my mistakes.  I see his defiance and embrace it, encourage his individuality, support him questioning the world and how he fits.  When he comes home and tells me about a girl he likes that only likes him as a friend I smile to myself and think, that was me.  The last to have a real boyfriend.  I tell him its cool.  She'll come to her senses; in the meantime, I help him achieve clear skin, I try to make him laugh as much as possible so that his smile is always bright.  I make sure he eats healthily and drinks loads of water when he's with me, to counteract the sweets, crisps, biscuits and fizzy pop I know he's having when he's not with me.  I keep in touch. I get to know his friends, I help him plan out his social time and I tell him.  I tell him I love him, I tell him I'm sorry, I talk to him very frankly about mostly anything.  I listen.  I listen to the moaning, I listen to the weird, the funny and sad.

I didn't do the same with my first.  I know I talked at him.  I set boundaries I, I, I.  I was finding it hard.  It was all I knew at the time, however, reflection is a good thing, and, although still with a struggle, I am turning that around.  It can be hard to change a behaviour used in a relationship over a long period of time one that is quite unique to the person you are in the relationship with.

I HATED being a teen, but it's funny, raising teens has been therapy for me, to process everything I went through at that time, helping me to finally move forward.  God help me having to go through my twenties again!!!  Now THAT was a party!!!

How has raising a teen been for you?  What have you done to help you and your teen?  We'd love to hear.  We as parents are forever learning.


Please do comment, share and SUBSCRIBE!!!!  its FREE

Tomboy -x-


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments, it all helps us to improve