MailChimp subscribe popup

Wednesday, November 25

Countdown to Christmas



Forget about Game of Thrones 'Winter is Coming', yes I still use the phrase.  For us, that unknown monster of mystery is Christmas.  The House is currently a building site, again!  Kitchen only this time, which will be finished soon, hopefully.

There is a general uncertainty in the air; what is really going to happen?  The universe is working away in the background with a plan that none of us quite know or understand as yet and the Government has us on tender hooks, gathering around the television and radio  (Alexa, I'm not really that ancient!)  for updates.  What tier am I in?  

But I can feel it and am more or less, going with the flow.  Whilst everyone else is blogging about and posting Instagram pics of their Christmas preparations, I am, well, I am!  I was tempted to pop into a garden centre, (one of the only stores to be open) take a picture of their tree and post it on Instagram tagging Tree.  Well its not quite a lie!

Last year we were planning our break away to Barbados, what a difference a day makes, ooops, yes I sung that as I typed.  I mean, what a difference a year makes!

As we have been in lock down and I've been surrounded by my four walls over the past 9 months, more than usual.  I have had time to think and plan my colour scheme and the schedule for the entire month of December 

Here are a few tips I usually adhere to and if you pop over to my Instagram page you can get a sneak peek at all the prep we've been doing.  Here is a list of things I do on an annual basis, of course plenty has changed with the pandemic, but I choose to hold on to some of my usual rituals for sanity's sake!

Clean

Just like a Spring clean, the pre-christmas clean is important preparation.  Before you begin to completely re-decorate your home with stars, angels and trees, make sure your windows are clean, spider webs brushed away and floors gleaming in preparation.

For help with the how-to have a look at an old but very popular previous post of ours HERE >>>>

Clean Bedrooms

Clean Bathrooms

Clean Hallways

Clean living areas

Cleaning Checklists

Go Crazy with decorations,

This is the one time you can go all out!  Cut some Ivy that is taking over a wall, play with colour, get the biggest tree yo can fit into your home and don't follow rules!😜 Christmas is supposed to be fun, so have fun!

Purchase Presents

If you haven't already, make a list of gifts and buy them.  Wrap as you purchase, and hide them away.  
  Adults are easy, I always feel that homemade is best, cookies, jam, a cake or a favourite cordial decanted into a pretty bottle, also try and support small and local businesses, they need it right now.  Most are offering delivery services so have them sent directly to your loved ones if they are not in your 3 household bubble. 

 Get children to write a letter to Santa, or if older, a list.  I had the boys do this in September as I wasn't confident that we would have access to shopping, we have purchased most items already and have been successfully keeping them hidden!  They are re-writing their letters, decorating them and posting them on the 1st as we usually do.
My boys are used to requesting two gifts.  One from Santa and one from family, so far the requests have never been too outrageous...... I repeat, so far! 

Get your Game on

It maybe a cliche, but having an array of board games and play together toys means you are not stuck for things to do, it also balance out how much television is watched.  With the world being in some sort of lockdown it really is a time to stock up on those 'things to do at home'.  Chess tournaments are big at our house, with my Dad being the current reigning champion.  The 26 year old is preparing to win his crown back over the holidays!  Street Fighter is also a huge favourite, my brother is an animator and has been living in Japan for the past six years, but when he was here, he was head for head with my husband.  A real male bonding session!  I'm a card game and dominoes whizz, and Alexander is the champion of 'pick up sticks'.  There are games for all tastes, ages and abilities.

Stock up and Cook ahead

Don't go too crazy, home delivery services have been excellent during this 2nd lockdown,  add a few extras to your usual shop.  I do that and have a section in my kitchen 'for christmas' so the boys don't demolish it all.  Cook side dishes in large batches in advance and freeze, that way you don't end up spending your entire Christmas day cooking!

Plan in some time for yourself

If you burn out, there is no Christmas.  Take time to look after and treat yourself.  Christmas belongs to you as much as it does everyone you are trying to please.  Have a bubble bath, spa day,  (dependant on your local rules), an evening in front of the television or do all.  Laugh loudly, rest when needed and enjoy!


24 days of Christmas

This year I have created a list of Christmassy tasks to do over the month leading up to Christmas day.  Nothing major, but a little something to get us into the mood and flow.  It's a pretty crappy time for most so my aim is to lighten the mood, lets look forward to something frivolous and fun regardless of whatever restrictions have been put in place.

I hope you all enjoy the coming month, look out for my next post on 24 days of Christmas, perhaps you can play along!

Follow us on our other social media platforms to see what we are doing in real-time!

Tomboy -x-



Only Boys and Tomboys are a family of 6, 4 boys aged 22, 14, 7 and 4, Mum and Dad.  5 of us are living in a 3 bed terraced railway cottage in London with a cat, a bearded dragon, a fish and two shrimp

We share fashion, food, holidays, home decor, what we read and how we live.  All of it through blogs, vlogs and instapics.  We each have social media platforms covering many a topic with followers on each.

BLOG:                http://onlyboysandtomboys.blogspot.co.uk
TWITTER:         https://twitter.com/OhBnT





No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments, it all helps us to improve