photo slider

Search This Blog

MailChimp subscribe popup

Thursday, 6 November 2014

We were hacked!!


Not quite the Celebrity Hacking scandal or the IKEA hack I had been planning to post, but an every day every people kind of computer hacking that can quite literally ruin your cyber life.  Computer Fraud, Computer Hacking and Fake Websites



I consider myself to be reasonably tech savvy but the events over the past few weeks have left me quite astounded and a little paranoid.  I had been complaining to my husband about how slow our connection seemed and that it was taking so long to do anything or was becoming a long and drawn out chore.  After months of complaining he decided to contact BT our broadband provider; if think he started to have problems with his PC, that's what probably spurred him to action! Typical men!

After several failed attempts to log onto our BT account and resetting the password he clicked onto the support page of the BT website and dialled the number provided.
So far the outcome has been that we weren't speaking to the real BT from the beginning!
After a couple of rings the operator answered straight away.  No BT message, no options.  My husband explained his issue and was told that a technician would call back within the hour.  Within 20 mins we received a call.  This person requested remote access, which my husband gave him, and diagnosed that our network had been hacked.  The technician then stated that could be rectified but at a fee of £250 payable by credit card!  My husband, who often builds his own computers stated that the cost was too high.  I asked whether that cost could be placed on our bill as that amount could not be paid out straight away' we were told no.  My husband then stated he would need a second opinion. The technician then stated that the fee could be reduced if we downloaded an anti-virus ourselves for £49, he remotely pulled up an AVG anti-virus download page.  Again, my husband said he would prefer to seek a second opinion.

We both thought this was strange so, using my phone on my mobile network I proceeded to tweet BT.    So far the outcome has been that we weren't speaking to the real BT from the beginning as they would never request payment for broadband support and if payment were required for anything else it would be less than half of what was quoted and would be placed on our bill.
 A fake BT web site?!!!
The realisation that we had stumbled upon quite an elaborate fraudulent operation sunk in.  A fake BT web site?!!!  How many other fakes are there?  How did they get in to direct us there?  What about the less savvy user, are they duped into paying out?
BE AWARE, IT'S NOT JUST EMAILS, IT'S FAKE POP UPS FOR UPDATES AND FALSE WEB SITES.
Many questions remain and we are still in the process of cleaning up.  When those questions are answered I will most definitely share them with you.
On a closing note; BE AWARE, IT'S NOT JUST EMAILS, IT'S FAKE POP UPS FOR UPDATES AND FALSE WEB SITES.

Tomboy -x-

New Posts coming soon.  Don't forget to share, comment and subscribe.  It's all free!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments, it all helps us to improve