Friday, 7 June 2013

Taking control of what we eat. Organic really isn't guaranteed unless you do it yourself.






We are busying at making a vegetable garden, taking control of the food we eat if I had space, chickens would be included!!








I am a glorious anomaly,  a full blown curly kinky Afro, dressed in hotpants, a boob tube and my beloved Hunter boots, with freshly manicured nails I set about toiling the land.  Think Real Housewives meets The Good Life.
"If you want something done, do it yourself''
It's a saying we've all heard before, and, with the barrage of food scandals lately, I felt that I would take control and begin to provide at least some of our own, fruit and vegetables.  I am, by no means a qualified or even natural gardener, but with a little research and a lot of hard work from me I truly believe I can achieve something spectacular.

After our month long trip to the lush and beautiful Barbados I was inspired to 'fix up' my little space.  Most everyone wouldn't describe my outdoor space as a garden, but I like to put on my estate agent hat and describe my space as a bijou, and intimately beautiful courtyard sanctuary; as I type I am  basking in the rare summer sun surrounded by the softness of green leaves and the beauty of flowers, sounds of nature tweeting and buzzing around with the occasional passing aeroplane reminding me of a distant land I wish to emulate.  I have always loved being outdoors but had neglected my little haven for a good few years.  Upon my return to the UK and finding that an apple tree I'd had for at least 10 years had died, I decided that this was the time for change.

"You can achieve anything you put your mind to"
With this mantra resonating through my mind I imagine my space to be beautiful and bountiful and so my journey begins!

P.S.  Afros and gardening do not go well together, think hair tangled in branches, green flies nesting ground and being the ultimate outdoor duster, collecting every known spider web!!!  Now where is that silk scarf?!!

Here are some great sites and blogs I've come across along the way to enlightenment!

 Organic Vegetable Gardening For Beginners - 7 Tips You Heard & Forgot

Vegetable Gardens That Look Great

Natural Pesticides

Our Pinterest Gardening Board

Small Garden Inspiration

Get the kids involved and have fun gardening!!

Tomboy -x-


Recycle:  Use old wooden pallets to build raised beds.
Lot's of companies throw these out, but ask before taking.  My local Homebase let me have these.

And so it begins!!


Whilst the kiddies were in bed I was turning over the soil digging deep and removing junk
10pm and the hubby sheds some light; now that's dedication for you!

Looking good

Late night cuppa well deserved xx

The boys love to help

Planning the layout

Day 1 of planting

Day 3 all watered and settled in




LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...